December 31, 2018 - January 5, 2019 (6 days / 5 nights)
TOUR DESCRIPTION A journey in the DISCOVERY is a feast of intense, sensory experiences: the aroma of remote places, the texture of unknown things, the multicolor tapestry of nature, the accent of unheard languages, the exquisite flavor of what has never before been tasted and the knowledge absorbed; that is the incomparable feeling of penetrating the secrets of other worlds. That proximity is life, it is beginning and end. The yearning for that closeness is the virtue and spirit of the true traveler and it is the reason for the Journey Between the Seas. That communion of body and spirit is only possible within the intimate realm of a compact craft, designed to cover the narrowest marine routes that take us to pristine lands. A crew of ten has been carefully selected and trained to ensure the perfect journey for up to 24 exclusive passengers of the Discovery. Inside the cozy, spacious cabins and lounges, the magic of night melts imperceptibly with the fabulous sunrises at amazing places that offer their purest charms at dawn ready for a day of exploration. From its decks, everything looks close, vivid, amazing, moving and…unforgettable.
US$7,665 per single or double cabin plus 7% tax (max. 2 persons)
US$76,650 plus 7% tax
12 cabins / 24 passengers
INCLUDED Full board on the M/V Discovery (B - breakfast, L - lunch, D - dinner) and beverages on board (alcoholic and non-alcholic), all land and water transportation, shore excursions and use of equipment (kayaks, zodiaks and snorkeling gear), port charges
NOT INCLUDED International airfare, hotel accommodation in Panama City, pre and post-cruise arrangements, gratuities for guides and staff on board, personal equipment
THE EXPERIENCE, the encounter.
A journey on the DISCOVERY is a feast of intense, sensory experiences: the aroma of remote places, the texture of unknown things, the multicolor tapestry of nature, the accent of unheard languages, and the exquisite flavor of what has never before been tasted; that is the incomparable feeling of penetrating the secrets of other worlds, other lives. That proximity is life, it is beginning and end.
The yearning for that closeness is the virtue and spirit of the true traveler and it is the reason for the Journey Between the Seas. That communion of body and spirit is only possible within the intimate realm of a compact craft, designed to cover the narrowest marine routes that take us to pristine lands.
A crew of ten has been carefully selected and trained to ensure a perfect journey for the 24 exclusive passengers of the Discovery. Inside the cozy, spacious cabins and lounges, the magic of night melts imperceptibly with the fabulous sunrises at amazing places that offer their purest charms at dawn ready for a day of excursion. From its decks, everything looks close, vivid, amazing, moving and … simply unforgettable!
Day 1 (December 31, 2018) – Panama City – Caribbean Sea – Panama Canal
1:00PM – Pick up from hotel in Panama City for a drive across the Isthmus of Panama, from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea. The 80-kilometer drive will take just about one hour. Embark the MV Discovery and set sail in the tropical waters towards the Panama Canal. This afternoon you will transit Gatun Locks. The Panama Canal was inaugurated in 1914 and recently a major expansion took place by adding 2 new sets of locks, widening and deepening the channel and approach areas and straightening bends along Gaillard Cut, the Continental Divide.
Celebrate New Year’s Eve in the Panama Canal anchored in Gatun Lake.
5 nights aboard the M/V DISCOVERY
Day 2 (January 1, 2019) - Panama Canal – Gatun Lake
Prior to the construction of the Panama Canal, the vast jungle area that is now the Gatun Lake was teeming with an overwhelming abundance of wildlife. As the region was flooded to create the lake, animals took refuge in the mountain peaks, which are now the many islands that dot the renowned lake. Spend a full day exploring the Panama Canal’s lush rainforests in small boats. Exotic birds, monkeys, sloths, iguanas, and crocodiles are just a few of the animals that you could see in their natural surroundings. The sights, sounds and scents that make up this beautiful, tropical jungle will engulf you. Cameras are a must as this is considered the world’s premier location for viewing monkeys and other animals in the wild. Today you will also get to kayak in the Panama Canal
Day 3 (January 2, 2019) - Panama Canal – Pacific Ocean
The Discovery will continue sailing south and will exit the Panama Canal onto the Pacific Ocean in the afternoon after crossing the Continental Divide and transiting through Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks.
You will be so close to the walls of this man-made wonder that you will even be able to touch the lock walls!
Day 4 – (January 3, 2019) – Darien Jungle
Step aboard a time machine and travel back more than 600 years to a place that not many have had the privilege of experiencing. More than an excursion, this is a journey into the lives of the Embera Indians. A proud people who have been able to maintain their traditions and lifestyle as they were before the Spaniards colonized the region.
The Embera are also master crafters of cocobolo wood carvings and basketry. After motoring up river you will see the village emerging from the jungle, as if by magic. Keep your eyes open along the way as the region offers abundant wildlife that is particularly active along the river’s edge.
(B, L, D)
Day 5 (January 4, 2019) – The Pearl Islands
Snorkel and swim in the waters of the Pearl Islands. The archipelago owes its name to the abundance of pearl oysters which supported a substantial fishery in the early 1900’s.
Enjoy a full day of snorkeling, kayaking, beach combing, birdwatching and island hopping
Day 6 (January 5, 2019) – Panama City
Wake up to a farewell breakfast before you disembark the Discovery at Flamenco Island in Panama City by 9:00 a.m.
You will be transferred to your hotel or airport
SPECIAL NEW YEARS EVE DEPARTURE 2018
December 31, 2018 - January 5, 2019
DISCLAIMER & NOTE
- CRUISE OPERATIONS Cruise itineraries are subject to wind, tide and weather conditions and are operated at the sole discretion of the Discovery in the interests of the safety and welfare of the passengers, vessel and crew. The Discovery reserves the absolute right to decline to accept or retain any person(s) on any cruise, shore excursion or other cruise activity, to cancel, amend or alter any cruise schedule or cruise itinerary, shore excursion or any other service for any reason which the Discovery in its absolute and sole discretion considers desirable or necessary in the interests of the vessels and or passengers safety and/or well being. Arrival and departure times various places of call are provided as a guide only and in this regard no warranty, condition or guarantee, express or implied, is given or intended. The minimum number of passengers to operate the cruise is 8 people. The Discovery reserves the right to cancel any cruise before the departure date in which case the full payment will be reimbursed.
- PASSENGER BAGGAGE AND VALUABLES A baggage allowance of two (2) items per passenger is permitted. It is recommended that baggage be kept to a minimum. All baggage must be clearly and durably marked and identified with passenger(s) name and address. Passengers should ensure that all baggage, valuables and other personal items are comprehensively insured. No intoxicating liquors, firearms, weapons, nor toxic, flammable, illegal or dangerous goods or substances shall be carried aboard the Discovery. The Discovery shall not be liable for any loss or damage, of whatsoever nature arising of passenger(s) baggage, valuables and/or person articles and valuables, the liability for which shall at all times remain solely with the passenger(s) and in this regard the passenger(s) shall release and indemnify the Discovery from any claim or liability.
- PHOTOGRAPH AND VIDEO The Discovery may photograph or film passengers and their activities during the course of an expedition cruise. These materials can be used by the Discovery for marketing purposes or training activities without any obligation to compensate the passenger. Copies of these materials could also be purchased for a modest charge.
- RELEASE The passenger(s) shall release and indemnify the Discovery, its owners and tour operator from and against any cause of action, claim, liability, suit or demand of whatsoever nature howsoever arising whether directly or indirectly whether contractual or tortious either at law or in equity for any loss, damage, injury, illness, delay, inconvenience, or expense suffered, sustained, or incurred by the passenger(s) as a result of or by any reason of either directly or indirectly any act or omission of whatsoever nature by the Discovery, its employees, agents, suppliers, invitees, crew, other passengers, or other persons whomsoever, whether on board the Discovery or not, or from any perils of the sea or on land or whatsoever other cause. All company defenses, and passenger releases and indemnities shall extend in total for and to the benefit of all Discovery employees, servants, agents, suppliers, invitees, shareholders, heirs, successors, and assigns.
- REFUNDS No refunds shall be payable to any passenger(s) for any unavailed service(s) once the cruise has commenced, other than for a decision by the Discovery to interrupt any cruise for any reason including but not limited to wind, tide, weather, passenger(s) safety, industrial action, loss or failure of machinery or equipment, vessel damage, vessel safety or force majeure.
WHAT TO PACK
• Lightweight, rubber sandals.
• Comfortable, “closed” walking shoes with rubber soles and good support (for on board the ship and shore excursions). You can also wear tennis shoes or sneakers. You may want to bring two pairs so that you will have a dry pair if one should get wet or muddy. Some of the hikes on shore may involve walking through muddy terrain, especially if it has rained recently.
• Sun protection: hat, sunglasses, and waterproof sun block: 30 SPF minimum.
• Wide-brimmed hat for rain or sun.
• If you wear contact lenses, bring a pair of prescription glasses for occasions when lenses may be bothersome.
• Camera, lenses, plenty of film, and extra camera batteries.
• A good pair of binoculars.
• 1 or 2 bathing suits and cover-up.
• Cotton or other lightweight long pants.
• Lightweight rain poncho.
• Long-sleeved shirts for protection from the sun.
• Mid-calf length socks.
• A small backpack or rucksack; a waterproof bag to hold camera and/or binoculars.
• T-shirts, polo shirts, and/or other comfortable, lightweight short-sleeved shirts. If you plan to use a T-shirt while snorkeling, please pack extra.
• Waterproof insect repellent.
• Travel alarm clock.
• Make sure to bring enough CASH to purchase crafts in Darien and Portobelo and also for tips at the end of the cruise, since the boat does not take credit cards.
The cruise was fantastic and the crew are brilliant, the guide Jose was very good and even though the boat lost a propeller the night before our trip in the canal, then company and Jose organised two days of activities while the propeller was replaced at the end of the day the itinerary was completed in full and it was all great we both cried when we had to leave the fantastic crew who spoils us rotten, it also helped we were only 12 guests and 11 crew how good is that and the weather behaved perfectly.
Thanks again and I will definitely recommend your company and you.
Regards, Rhonda Walter
Passenger numbers on the Discovery are limited to just 24, ensuring everyone can enjoy serenity and privacy together with the excitement and closeness of a true exploration cruise.
Discovery is a 33 meter-long, purpose built catamaran providing 6 queen and 6 twin cabins. All cabins have individual climate control, bathrooms and huge windows which extend along the length of the cabin allowing you to enjoy the scenery in complete privacy.
The dining area, bar and lounge are located on the upper deck which is fitted with floor to ceiling “glass walls” providing a spectacular dinning experience and plenty of space to unwind. Enjoy Panamanian gastronomy as we delight you with exquisite indigenous dishes prepared by our talented Chef. A BBQ and sun deck are located on the topmost observation deck.
The Discovery is equipped with a unique platform that lowers kayakers and zodiacs gently into the water and also retrieves them in perfect safety and comfort.
The Tour Leaders
Onboard the Discovery you will find enthusiastic expedition leaders that will provide insight and profound understanding of the adventure you will undertake. They are experienced and well trained naturalists ready to share their vast knowledge and understanding.
Your expedition leaders share a love for history and a passion for nature. They will introduce you to native human groups that still preserve their customs and traditions, and to a world of stunning natural beauty and rich history unknown by most. They are experts on their fields and they will make your journey onboard the Discovery an unforgettable experience.
- Type of Vessel: Catamaran Live-Aboard
- Built: Rrichardson Devine Marine Constructions, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- Launched: December 2004
- Hull: Marine Grade Aluminium
- Loa: 33 meters
- Beam: 9.75 meters
- Maximum Ladden Draft: 1.85 meters
- Main Engine: 2 X Detroit Diesel MTU Series 60, 740 HP
- Gensets: 2 X Isuzu 105 KVA
- Capacity: 24 persons
- Maximum Speed: 18 knots
- Cruising Speed: 15 knots
- Crew Capacity: 11
- Fresh Water Storage Capacity: 6000 liters
- Fresh Water Production Capacity: 500 liters per hour
- Range: 850 NM